Five Things to Consider Before Making an Offer on a Home on Well and Septic.
- Hire a company that offers the MD 4-step Septic Evaluation procedure. Home Land Septic Consulting follows all procedures and guidelines in accordance with Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE).
- Avoid a Dye Test Septic test. Dye Testing finds 5% of the problems, 5% of the time. Dye Testing has never been a practical application for determining the health of a septic system, although they were more successful in years past. Septic systems, in the past, were generally no deeper than 1-2 feet under grade.
- Understand that all Septic Systems will eventually fail. A Septic System typically lasts 30-40 years. The cost to replace the system can range greatly. After evaluating a system we can give you an idea of what to budget for.
- Testing the well will require two different tests. We can test the QUALITY of the water and the QUANITY of the water. We offer a variety of well yields and can advise on what you need depending on what county the property is located in. We also can discuss what impurities to consider testing. A Buyer may have to follow certain loan requirements depending on what loan product they are using (Conventional, FHA or VA).
- It is a good practice to obtain County Records from the local Health Department. Home Land Septic does this as a standard practice; once an appointment is made. But a buyer can access these records for free (most counties) and obtain pertinent information prior to any home inspections.